The month of October is Orthodontic Health Month. How fitting that this month is one of the times a year where Pierson Orthodontics sees the most broken brackets. Halloween candy has filled up the stores and soon baskets will be overflowing with the brackets worst enemies. Have no fear you super heroes, princesses, ghosts, goblins and the most popular right now, clowns, we are here to help you this holiday.
- Avoid sticky situations with your braces and aligners– Don’t get stuck eating hard, sticky, chewy and crunchy candy and snacks.
- Scare away those hard treats– Say no to hard-shelled peanut candies, nuts, nut-filled candies, taco chips, and popcorn. Whether in treatment or not, Dr. Bradley Pierson cautions that no one should ever eat ice.
- Brush away those sugar monsters! Sweets can cause cavities which means that brushing and flossing are more important than ever in the Halloween season.
- Good news! Not all Halloween Candy is off limits. Good alternatives include soft chocolates, peanut butter cups, or other melt in your mouth varieties. The AAO (American Association of Orthodontics) even offers orthodontic-friendly recipes for Halloween on its website.
- Make a commitment to your oral health– Avoiding hard and chewy sweets BEFORE the Halloween season increases your rate of success and reduces your chance of breaking brackets and missing school.
Pierson Orthodontics in San Antonio, TX is very excited just as you are for the sweet treat season. We are here to help with any questions you have before and after the holiday. Call our office with concerns at 210-695-1116, we are here to help!